Friday, March 20, 2009

Gardening time!

I'm so excited! I'm actually going to put out a garden this year! I wanted to do one last year but given the fact that I was due to give birth right in the middle of planting season... it didn't happen. Probably for the best!

I went to the library today and got a couple of books. We have a HUGE backyard with a section already fenced off for a garden. I cleaned out my strawberry planter and pruned one of the raspberry bushes back. Lesson learned: need gardening gloves before any further pruning occurs!

So here's what I'm thinking of planting:
Peas
Carrots
Lettuce
Watermelon
Sweetcorn
Peppers
Beans
Strawberries
Zucchini
Cucumbers
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Spinach
Okra

I think that's it. Maybe. We also have a pear tree, apple tree, raspberries, mulberries, grapes and blackberries growing somewhat wild in our yard already. I need to figure out how to take care of them all so that they actually grow some fruit and don't just look like weeds taking over the entire yard! At one point there was an orchard back there and obviously somebody who owned the house at some point planted a lot of things- I just don't know what half of them are!

So- it should be an adventure. I'm picking up burn barrels tomorrow to burn off the clippings and brush and a rototiller to plow up my little plot of agricultural heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment